There is only one true Irvin and this is it. Aviation Leathercraft own the Irvin trademark and manufacture this genuine jacket here in the U.K. An Irvin label within each jacket confirms it’s authenticity.
When those of us that were once small boys ran around, arms extended, making aircraft engine noises, this is the jacket we would have worn. In our mind’s eye, this jacket was synonymous with heroic derring-do. If there is one item of apparel that sums up all that is best about the brave British tradition of mastery of the skies, this is it.
Of course, the Irvin Original Sheepskin Flying Jacket is practical: it’s made from first-rate, hard-wearing materials and it’s made with the same pedantic attention to detail demonstrated by its creator. It will last you virtually forever, but it’s not just about practical stuff - the Irvin jacket is a legend, it’s part of a story, it has its place in our history and as much as anything else owning a genuine Irvin just feels right. You put it on and there’s no question that you’re part of something special.
This jacket includes the exclusive Irvin label.
Top quality, supple sheepskin with long rugged wool, prepared especially for Aviation Leathercraft, for the production of Irvin flying jackets.
Brown sheepskin, with brown leather bindings. Inside colour is "Warm Honey" (sheepskin is a natural material and some colour variations are to be expected).
All seams are overlock stitched and bound with double stitched soft leather.
Leslie Irvin’s original design did not include pockets. We can supply you a jacket to the original specification, with no pockets, or with two side entry pockets as shown. Demand is such that we fit pockets as standard, if you do not want pockets simply let us know when you place your order.
The buckle that closes the waist belt is made from cast brass and bears the Irvin name.
Enameled brass under arm ventilators are fitted.
36" - 52" English (91cm - 132cm) chest with the option of regular or long fit.
Ladies sizes 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 with option of regular or long fit.
This classic flying jacket is the real thing. Each jacket bears an authentic Irvin, woven label. This unique label is sewn into each jacket as your assurance that the jacket is a genuine Irvin Original Flying Jacket from Aviation Leathercraft.
Important note: Despite the original Irvin Original flying jacket not having pockets, in line with the majority of orders we receive we make Irvin flying jackets with pockets, unless we are specifically asked to do otherwise. If you want your Irvin jacket to be made without pockets please specify your wishes in the comments box on the “checkout” page.
Photographic colour/material representation is illustrative. Colour and material can vary slightly.
Back to the top
Important sizing information
- Men: We suggest men order the same size jacket as you would normally take in a suit or sports style jacket.
- Ladies: We suggest ordering the same size jacket as you would normally take in a jacket.
- Jackets are cut either 'regular' or 'long' and are generally applicable to clients who are able to purchase garments off the peg.
- Our 'long' cut sizes provide additional length on sleeve and back lengths for our taller clients;
- Men: If you are 6'/1.83m/72" or above we would suggest ordering a 'long' or if you find you normally need longer sleeve lengths when purchasing garments.
- Ladies: If you are 5'7"/1.70m/67" or over we would suggest ordering a 'long' or if you find you normally need longer sleeve lengths when purchasing garments.
- International clients please see the conversion chart below to establish the equivalent UK size needed.
- Within the order notes please advise any other details that you feel may help us select the best size.
- If you are unsure of the size you need then you are very welcome to visit us in Thruxton, Hampshire to try on one of our stock sizes and if needed we will make minor adjustments to the jacket, which may incur a small additional charge. PLEASE SEE OPENING TIMES AND ADVISE BEFORE PLANNING A VISIT.
Mens International equivalent sizes
Ladies International equivalent sizes